Beyond Secular Order is the first of a two-volume work that expands upon renowned theologian John Milbank’s innovative attempt to understand both theology and modern thought begun in his previously published classic text Theology and Social Theory.
- Continues Milbank’s innovative attempt to understand both theology and modern thought begun in Theology and Social Theory – considered a classic work in the development of systematic theology
- Authored by one of the world’s most influential and highly regarded contemporary theologians
- Draws on a sweep of ideas and thinkers to argue that modern secularism is a form of Christian heresy that developed from the Middle Ages and can only be overcome by a renewed account of Christendom
- Shows how this heresy can be transformed into a richer blend of religion, modernity and politics
- Reveals how there is a fundamental homology between modern ideas about ontology and knowledge and modern ideas about political action, expressed in both theory and practice
Keywords: Theology and secularism, secular, systematic theology, contemporary theology, modern theology, philosophy of religion, philosophical theology, contemporary Christianity, Christendom, faith and reason, theory of religion, religion and politics, liturgy, ontology, Anglican church, Illuminations series, Theology and Social Theory, Centre of Theology and Philosophy, Contemporary Theology, Philosophy of Religion, Contemporary Theology, Philosophy of Religion