Focused on central nervous system (CNS) drug discovery efforts, this book educates drug researchers about the blood-brain barrier (BBB) so they can affect important improvements in one of the most significant – and most challenging – areas of drug discovery.
• Written by world experts to provide practical solutions to increase brain penetration or minimize CNS side-effects
• Reviews state-of-the-art in silico, in vitro, and in vivo tools to assess brain penetration and advanced CNS drug delivery strategies
• Covers BBB physiology, medicinal chemistry design principles, free drug hypothesis for the BBB, and transport mechanisms including passive diffusion, uptake/efflux transporters, and receptor-mediated processes
• Highlights the advances in modelling BBB pharmacokinetics and dynamics relationships (PK/PD) and physiologically-based pharmacokinetics (PBPK)
• Discusses case studies of successful CNS and non-CNS drugs, lessons learned and paths to the market
Keywords: Drug Discovery & Development, Blood-brain barrier (BBB)
Blood-brain barrier (BBB), medicinal chemistry, central nervous system (CNS), drug discovery, brain pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics (PK/PD), brain physiologically-based pharmacokinetics (PBPK), BBB transporters, P-glycoprotein (P-gp), breast cancer resistant protein (BCRP), brain penetration, brain permeability