- Provides the student with an understanding of power system protection principles and an insight into the phenomena involved.
- Discusses in detail the emerging technologies of adaptive relaying, hidden failures, wide area measurement, global positioning satellites and the specific application of digital devices.
- Includes relay designs such as electromechanical, solid-state and digital relays to illustrate the advantages and disadvantages of each.
- Re-examines traditional equipment protection practices to include new concepts such as transmission line differential protection, load encroachment on distance relay characteristics, distributed generation systems, and techniques to improve protection system response to power system events.
- Analyzes system performance through oscillographs and alarms schemes.
- Features problems to be worked through at the end of each chapter.
Keywords: Electric Power Systems