- Helps the reader quantify and interpret patterns of ecological diversity, focusing on the measurement and estimation of species richness and abundance.
- Explores the concept of ecological diversity, bringing new perspectives to a field beset by contradictory views and advice.
- Discussion spans issues such as the meaning of community in the context of ecological diversity, scales of diversity and distribution of diversity among taxa
- Highlights advances in measurement paying particular attention to new techniques such as species richness estimation, application of measures of diversity to conservation and environmental management and addressing sampling issues
- Includes worked examples of key methods in helping people to understand the techniques and use available computer packages more effectively