This cutting-edge Companion is a comprehensive resource for the study of the modern American novel. Published at a time when literary modernism is being thoroughly reassessed, it reflects current investigations into the origins and character of the movement as a whole.
- Brings together 28 original essays from leading scholars
- Allows readers to orient individual works and authors in their principal cultural and social contexts
- Contributes to efforts to recover minority voices, such as those of African American novelists, and popular subgenres, such as detective fiction
- Directs students to major relevant scholarship for further inquiry
- Suggests the many ways that “modern”, “American” and “fiction” carry new meanings in the twenty-first century
Keywords: 20th Century & Contemporary American Literature, Novel, American Novel, Modern American Novel, John T. Matthews