A Dictionary of Varieties of English
A Dictionary of Varieties of English presents a comprehensive listing of the distinctive dialects and forms of English spoken throughout the contemporary world.
- Provides an invaluable introduction and guide to current research trends in the field
- Includes definitions both for the varieties of English and regions they feature, and for terms and concepts derived from a linguistic analysis of these varieties
- Explores important research issues including the transportation of dialects of English, the rise of ‘New Englishes’, sociolinguistic investigations of various English-speaking locales, and the study of language contact and change.
- Reflects our increased awareness of global forms of English, and the advances made in the study of varieties of the language in recent decades
- Creates an invaluable, informative resource for students and scholars alike, spanning the rich and diverse linguistic varieties of the most widely accepted language of international communication
Keywords: English Language, Dialects, Englishes, varieties of English, linguistic analysis, New Englishes, world Englishes, English-speaking, language contact, language variation and change, English language, global forms of English, dialectology, sociolinguistics, sociology of language, international communication, intercultural communication, historical linguistics, Anglophone Studies
- Hickey, Raymond
- John Wiley and Sons, Inc.
- Publication year
- Page amount
- 456 pages
- eISBN (ePUB)
- Printed ISBN