– 2G: the GSM (Global System for Mobile) network, the GPRS (General Packet Radio Service) network and the EDGE (Enhanced Data for Global Evolution) evolution;
– 3G: the UMTS (Universal Mobile Telecommunications System) network and the HSPA (High Speed Packet Access) evolutions:
- HSDPA (High Speed Downlink Packet Access),
- HSUPA (High Speed Uplink Packet Access),
– 4G: the EPS (Evolved Packet System) network.
The telephone service and data transmission are the two main services provided by these networks. The evolutions are fundamentally dictated by the increase in the rate of data transmission across the radio interface between the network and mobiles.
This book is intended as a readily understandable support to help students and professionals wishing to quickly acquire the main concepts of networks for mobiles understand the technologies deployed.
Keywords: Communication Technology - Networks, Mobile Networks Architecture, GSM network architecture, GPRS network architecture, EDGE evolution, UMTS network architecture, HSPA evolutions, High Speed Downlink Packet Access, High Speed Uplink Packet Access, EPS network architecture