Based on the fundamentals of electromagnetics, this clear and concise text explains basic and applied principles of transformer and inductor design for power electronic applications. It details both the theory and practice of inductors and transformers employed to filter currents, store electromagnetic energy, provide physical isolation between circuits, and perform stepping up and down of DC and AC voltages.
The authors present a broad range of applications from modern power conversion systems. They provide rigorous design guidelines based on a robust methodology for inductor and transformer design. They offer real design examples, informed by proven and working field examples.
Key features include:
- emphasis on high frequency design, including optimisation of the winding layout and treatment of non-sinusoidal waveforms
- a chapter on planar magnetic with analytical models and descriptions of the processing technologies
- analysis of the role of variable inductors, and their applications for power factor correction and solar power
- unique coverage on the measurements of inductance and transformer capacitance, as well as tests for core losses at high frequency
- worked examples in MATLAB, end-of-chapter problems, and an accompanying website containing solutions, a full set of instructors’ presentations, and copies of all the figures.
Covering the basics of the magnetic components of power electronic converters, this book is a comprehensive reference for students and professional engineers dealing with specialised inductor and transformer design. It is especially useful for senior undergraduate and graduate students in electrical engineering and electrical energy systems, and engineers working with power supplies and energy conversion systems who want to update their knowledge on a field that has progressed considerably in recent years.
Keywords: Power Electronics, transformer design, inductor design, magnetic components, power electronic applications, power electronic converters, magnetic design, energy conversion, power conversion systems, renewable power conversion, renewable power transformers