The updated fifth edition of Going to the Sources presents a practical guide to historical research and writing for all students of history.
- Focuses on the basics of historians’ craft, introducing students to concepts including refining a topic, selecting sources, and engaging critically with their reading
- Appendices illustrate style for footnotes, endnotes, and bibliographical entries, as well as a list of commonly used abbreviations
- Features a new chapter on the use of non-textual sources for historians, including a case study discussion of the historical importance of D. W. Griffith’s film The Birth of a Nation
- Addresses how to bring the critical assessment skills of reading to bear on film and other non-textual sources
- Includes a student-written historiographical essay, with marginal notes for instruction