"Case Studies in Multicultural Counseling and Therapy is a magnificent resource that will help create a greater bridge of understanding between the academic, research, and applied domains of the mental health professions."
—From the Foreword by Thomas A. Parham, PhD, Vice Chancellor, Student Affairs, University of California, Irvine; Distinguished Psychologist, Association of Black Psychologists
An indispensable collection of real-life clinical cases from practicing experts in the field of multicultural counseling and psychotherapy
Case Studies in Multicultural Counseling and Therapy is a one-of-a-kind resource presenting actual cases illustrating assessment, diagnostic, and treatment concerns associated with specific populations. The contributors—well-known mental health professionals who specialize in multicultural counseling and psychotherapy—draw on their personal experiences to empower therapists in developing an individually tailored treatment plan that effectively addresses presenting problems in a culturally responsive manner.
Providing readers with the opportunity to think critically about multicultural factors and how they impact assessment, diagnosis, and treatment, this unique book:
- Covers ethical issues and evidence-based practice
- Integrates therapists' reflections on their own social identity and how this may have influenced their work with their clients
- Considers the intersectionality of racial/ethnic, class, religious, gender, and sexual identities
- Contains reflection and discussion questions, an analysis of each case by the author, and recommended resources
- Includes cases on racial/ethnic minority populations, gender, sexuality, poverty, older adults, immigrants, refugees, and white therapists working with people of color
- Aligns with the ACA's CACREP accreditation standards, tha APA guidelines for multicultural competence, and the AMCD Multicultural Counseling Competencies
Keywords: Diversity, Culture & Ethnicity, Derald Wing Sue,  , Miguel Gallardo,  , Helen Neville,  , counseling the culturally diverse,  , culturally diversity counseling,  , multicultural counseling,  , what is multicultural counseling,  , multicultural therapy,  , microaggressions,  , handbook of multicultural counseling competencies,  , multicultural psychology,  , counseling older adults,  , counseling for older adults,  , counseling persons with disabilities,  , counseling individuals with disabilities,  , counseling people with disabilities,  , counseling for people with disabilities,  , counseling gay men,  , counseling for gay men,  , counseling gay clients,  , counseling lesbians,  , counseling for lesbians,  , counseling transgender people,  , counseling immigrants,  , counseling for immigrants,  , counseling multiracial clients,  , counseling Asian American clients,  , counseling American Indians,  , counseling native americans,  , counseling African americans,  , counseling African American clients,  , counseling refugees,  , counseling Jewish Americans,  , CACREP, cacrep programs,  , AMCD Multicultural Counseling Competencies,  , counseling older adults,  , counseling for older adults,  , gerontological counseling,