Following in the footsteps of the groundbreaking first edition, this second edition of Psychiatry is a comprehensive textbook of mental health that brings its subject alive with numerous case studies, images and photographs, and short references from the arts, history, and philosophy. These not only facilitate learning and memorisation, but also highlight the subjective experience of mental illness, and stimulate thought into the nature of the human experience.
Based on extensive feedback from students and lecturers, this second edition places greater emphasis on psychological treatments, clinical skills, and exam success, and integrates more than 350 self-assessment questions.
Other important features include:
- A clear and attractive layout with colour coding and colour images and photographs
- Learning objectives, boxed summaries, and self-assessment questions in every chapter
- Step-by-step coverage of the psychiatric history, mental state examination, and formulation, with an integrated account of the signs and symptoms of mental disorders and a model case history
- Clinical skills/OSCE boxes on competencies such as enquiring about delusions and hallucinations, assessing suicidal risk, and assessing capacity
- Greater coverage of psychiatric subspecialties
- An expanded chapter on the history of psychiatry with introductions to Freud and Jung
Psychiatry is the perfect textbook for medical students, junior doctors, GPs, and all healthcare professionals needing a thorough account of mental disorders.