Ideal as a graduate textbook, this title is aimed at helpingdesign effective biomaterials, taking into account the complexinteractions that occur at the interface when a synthetic materialis inserted into a living system. Surface reactivity,biochemistry, substrates, cleaning, preparation, and coatingsare presented, with numerous case studies and applicationsthroughout.
- Starts with concepts and works up to real-life applicationssuch as implantable devices, medical devices, prosthetics, and drugdelivery technology
- Addresses surface reactivity, requirements for surface coating,cleaning and preparation techniques, and characterization
- Discusses the biological response to coatings
- Addresses biomaterial-tissue interaction
- Incorporates nanomechanical properties and processingstrategies