In this new edition, the basic vision and overall organization will be maintained. However, in keeping with current trends and research, chapters will be reviewed and revised to reflect four key concepts--interactional dynamics, system dynamics, culture and conflict, and conflict engagement. These concepts will inform the entire book. In addition, Bernie will specifically
- Add a new chapter on engaging conflict, which will incorporate some of Bernie's work from Beyond Neutrality and Staying with Conflict.
- Include the major work that has been done on culture, systems, and conflict engagement.
- Apply conflict concepts to new technologies, particularly online communication and conflict resolution efforts on the web.
- Incorporate some of the insights and approaches of narrative mediation into the communication and mediation chapters.
- Reference and include other significant writing that applies to conflict theory and to the practical work of conflict practitioners so that this book continues to be seen as a valuable teaching resource.
- Develop an instructors manual including PowerPoint slides, learning objectives and key concepts for each chapter, review questions, and sample syllabus for download.
Proposed TOC for Second Edition
Part One - Conflict
Chapter 1: The Nature of Conflict
Chapter 2: How People Conflict
Chapter 3: Power and Conflict
Chapter 4: Culture and Conflict
Part II - Resolution
Chapter 5: Engaging Conflict
Chapter 6: The Nature of Resolution
Chapter 7: Communication:
Chapter 8: Negotiation and Advocacy
Chapter 9: The Road to Resolution: Overcoming Impasse
Chapter 10: Mediation
Chapter11: Other Approaches to Conflict Resolution
Conclusion: Conflict Resolution in our Lives