An easily accessible introduction to over three centuries of innovations in geometry
Praise for the First Edition
“. . . a welcome alternative to compartmentalized treatments bound to the old thinking. This clearly written, well-illustrated book supplies sufficient background to be self-contained.” —CHOICE
This fully revised new edition offers the most comprehensive coverage of modern geometry currently available at an introductory level. The book strikes a welcome balance between academic rigor and accessibility, providing a complete and cohesive picture of the science with an unparalleled range of topics.
Illustrating modern mathematical topics, Introduction to Topology and Geometry, Second Edition discusses introductory topology, algebraic topology, knot theory, the geometry of surfaces, Riemann geometries, fundamental groups, and differential geometry, which opens the doors to a wealth of applications. With its logical, yet flexible, organization, the Second Edition:
• Explores historical notes interspersed throughout the exposition to provide readers with a feel for how the mathematical disciplines and theorems came into being
• Provides exercises ranging from routine to challenging, allowing readers at varying levels of study to master the concepts and methods
• Bridges seemingly disparate topics by creating thoughtful and logical connections
• Contains coverage on the elements of polytope theory, which acquaints readers with an exposition of modern theory
Introduction to Topology and Geometry, Second Edition is an excellent introductory text for topology and geometry courses at the upper-undergraduate level. In addition, the book serves as an ideal reference for professionals interested in gaining a deeper understanding of the topic.
Keywords: Geometry & Topology, geometry, topology, analytic projective geometry, science, mathematics, algebra, knot theory, Riemann geometries, fundamental groups, differential geometry, poles, polars, conics, homofocal, bitangent
- Stahl, Saul
- Stenson, Catherine
- John Wiley and Sons, Inc.
- Publication year
- Pure and Applied Mathematics: A Wiley Series of Texts, Monographs and Tracts
- Page amount
- 536 pages
- Technology, Energy, Traffic
- eISBN (ePUB)
- Printed ISBN