In CliffsNotes on Knowles' A Separate Peace, you explore John Knowles greatest work, which is one of the most popular post-war novels about adolescence. Here, you meet Gene, who faces the challenge of finding his own individuality in a conformist world — the kind of individuality he's envious of in his friend, the free-spirited Finny.
This study guide carefully walks you through every step of Gene's journey by providing summaries and critical analyses of each chapter of the novel. You'll also explore the life and background of the author, John Knowles, and gain insight into how he came to write A Separate Peace. Other features that help you study include
- Character analyses of major players
- A character map that graphically illustrates the relationships among the characters
- Critical essays on innocence and the uneasy friendship between Gene and Finny
- A review section that tests your knowledge
- A Resource Center full of books, articles, films, and Internet sites
Classic literature or modern modern-day treasure — you'll understand it all with expert information and insight from CliffsNotes study guides.