This comprehensive survey of Spain’s history looks at the major political, social, and economic changes that took place from the end of the Civil War to the beginning of the twenty-first century.
- A thorough introduction to post-Civil War Spain, from its development under Franco and subsequent transition to democracy up to the present day
- Tusell was a celebrated public figure and historian. During his lifetime he negotiated the return to Spain of Picasso’s Guernica, was elected UCD councillor for Madrid, and became a respected media commentator before his untimely death in 2005
- Includes a biography and political assessment of Francisco Franco
- Covers a number of pertinent topics, including fascism, isolationism, political opposition, economic development, decolonization, terrorism, foreign policy, and democracy
- Provides a context for understanding the continuing tensions between democracy and terrorism, including the effects of the 2004 Madrid Bombings
Keywords: HISTORY / Modern / 20th Century HIS037070