This text offers a thorough overview of the operating characteristics, efficiencies, design features, troubleshooting, and maintenance of dynamic and positive displacement process gas compressors. The author examines a wide spectrum of compressors used in heavy process industries, with an emphasis on improving reliability and avoiding failure. Readers learn both the theory underlying compressors as well as the myriad day-to-day practical issues and challenges that chemical engineers and plant operation personnel must address.
The text features:
- Latest design and manufacturing details of dynamic and positive displacement process gas compressors
- Examination of the full range of machines available for the heavy process industries
- Thorough presentation of the arrangements, material composition, and basic laws governing the design of all important process gas compressors
- Guidance on selecting optimum compressor configurations, controls, components, and auxiliaries to maximize reliability
- Monitoring and performance analysis for optimal machinery condition
- Systematic methods to avoid failure through the application of field-tested reliability enhancement concepts
- Fluid instability and externally pressurized bearings
- Reliability-driven asset management strategies for compressors
- Upstream separator and filter issues
The text's structure is carefully designed to build knowledge and skills by starting with key principles and then moving to more advanced material. Hundreds of photos depicting various types of compressors, components, and processes are provided throughout.
Compressors often represent a multi-million dollar investment for such applications as petrochemical processing and refining, refrigeration, pipeline transport, and turbochargers and superchargers for internal combustion engines. This text enables the broad range of engineers and plant managers who work with these compressors to make the most of the investment by leading them to the best decisions for selecting, operating, upgrading, maintaining, and troubleshooting.