This book provides a unique and thought-provoking perspective on how nanotechnology is poised to revolutionize the telecommunications, computing, and networking industries. The author discusses emerging technologies as well as technologies under development that will lay the foundation for such innovations as:
* Nanomaterials with novel optical, electrical, and magnetic properties
* Faster and smaller non-silicon-based chipsets, memory, and processors
* New-science computers based on Quantum Computing
* Advanced microscopy and manufacturing systems
* Faster and smaller telecom switches, including optical switches
* Higher-speed transmission phenomena based on plasmonics and other quantum-level phenomena
* Nanoscale MEMS: micro-electro-mechanical systems
The author of this cutting-edge publication has played a role in the development of actual nanotechnology-based communication systems. In this book, he examines a broad range of the science of nanotechnology and how this field will affect every facet of the telecommunications and computing industries, in both the near and far term, including:
* Basic concepts of nanotechnology and its applications
* Essential physics and chemistry underlying nanotechnology science
* Nanotubes, nanomaterials, and nanomaterial processing
* Promising applications in nanophotonics, including nanocrystals and nanocrystal fibers
* Nanoelectronics, including metal nanoclusters, semiconducting nanoclusters, nanocrystals, nanowires, and quantum dots
This book is written for telecommunications professionals, researchers, and students who need to discover and exploit emerging revenue-generating opportunities to develop the next generation of nanoscale telecommunications and network systems. Non-scientists will find the treatment completely accessible. A detailed glossary clarifies unfamiliar terms and concepts. Appendices are provided for readers who want to delve further into the hard-core science, including nanoinstrumentation and quantum computing.
Nanotechnology is the next industrial revolution, and the telecommunications industry will be radically transformed by it in a few years. This is the publication that readers need to understand how that transformation will happen, the science behind it, and how they can be a part of it.