This authoritative book serves as an introductory text to optimization at the senior undergraduate and beginning graduate levels. With consistently accessible and elementary treatment of all topics, An Introduction to Optimization, Second Edition helps students build a solid working knowledge of the field, including unconstrained optimization, linear programming, and constrained optimization.
Supplemented with more than one hundred tables and illustrations, an extensive bibliography, and numerous worked examples to illustrate both theory and algorithms, this book also provides:
* A review of the required mathematical background material
* A mathematical discussion at a level accessible to MBA and business students
* A treatment of both linear and nonlinear programming
* An introduction to recent developments, including neural networks, genetic algorithms, and interior-point methods
* A chapter on the use of descent algorithms for the training of feedforward neural networks
* Exercise problems after every chapter, many new to this edition
* MATLAB(r) exercises and examples
* Accompanying Instructor's Solutions Manual available on request
An Introduction to Optimization, Second Edition helps students prepare for the advanced topics and technological developments that lie ahead. It is also a useful book for researchers and professionals in mathematics, electrical engineering, economics, statistics, and business.
An Instructor's Manual presenting detailed solutions to all the problems in the book is available from the Wiley editorial department.