In this rapidly developing field, this book explains why the various technologies are needed and will guide the reader to a deeper understanding of their significance and benefits within the industry. Focussing on the wireless context will give the reader a better understanding of how to use the technologies specifically in the development of wireless applications. Uniquely, Next Generation Wireless Applications
shows how the many and various technologies interoperate and can be used in combination to achieve useful results. The book also provides an authoritative view of the market opportunities for 3G enabling the reader to gauge the credibility and value of the many participants active in this market and helping the reader to detect and avoid risky business opportunities.
- Unique coverage of the state-of-the-art software development technologies appropriate in a wireless context
- Brings together software development expertise with an understanding of wireless issues
- Based on author’s extensive experience building wireless applications and training on the topic
- Describes both strengths and weaknesses of particular technologies, short-cuts and potential pit-falls
- Demonstrates how technologies fit together and may be used together to enhance functionality
- Dispells myths and demystifies technologies thanks to author’s extensive knowledge base and tried-and-tested presentation skills
- Numerous case studies (from Lucent, NTT DoCoMo and Vodafone) and anecdotes anchor the book in reality
- Covers SMS, MMS, LBS, billing issues, mobile information device profile specs (MIDP2.0), over-the-air-deployment mechanisms, service delivery platforms (SDP) and security.
Keywords: TECHNOLOGY & ENGINEERING / Telecommunications TEC041000