- Written to provide the necessary overview of the subject, covering technological developments, applications and (where necessary) the ethical implications.
- Divided into three sections, the first section introduces the role of biotechnology and genomics in medicine and sets out some of the technological advances that have been the basis of recent medical breakthroughs.
- The second section takes a closer look at how biotechnology and genomics are influencing the prevention and treatment of different categories of disease.
- Finally the contribution of biotechnology and genomics to the development of different types of therapy is described, including conventional drugs, recombinant proteins and gene/cell therapies.
- References to appropriate sections in other two popular books, authored by Sandy Primrose and Richard Twyman, are included - Principles of Gene Manipulation and Principles of Gene Analysis and Genomics.
- Features several categories of boxed text, including history boxes (describing the origins and development of particular technologies or treatments), molecular boxes (featuring the molecular basis of diseases or treatments in more detail) and ethic boxes (which discusses the ethical implications of technology development and new therapies).
Keywords: SCIENCE / Biotechnology SCI010000