Specific changes to the new edition include:
- More detail on sigma factors, anti-sigma factors and anti-anti sigma factors, and the difference in the frequency of sigma factors in bacteria
- Expand material on integrons as these are becoming increasingly important in antibiotic resistance
- Enhanced treatment of molecular phylogeny
- Complete revision and updating of the final chapter on ‘Gene Mapping and Genomics’
- Two-colour illustrations throughout.
The focus of the book remains firmly on bacteria and will be invaluable to students studying microbiology, biotechnology, molecular biology, biochemistry, genetics and related biomedical sciences.