The second edition focuses on a variety of liquid crystal cells and their electronic addressing, and outlines new developments including:
- High performance VA cells, especially for TV, due to two subpixels with excellent γ-correction also at oblique viewing
- Short optical response times in the range of 1 ms also for inter-gray transitions due to novel addressing waveforms
- Fringe field switching for acceleration of rise and decay of luminance eliminating frame memories
- Reduction of motion blur by scanning backlights, high frequency frames, edge enhancement and motion blur modeling
- Very thin LCDs with power saving LED backlights exhibiting unmatched color purity and larger than NTSC color gamut
- Printed layers on hydrophobic and hydrophilic areas replacing photolithography
Practicing electrical engineers, physicists, chemists and display specialists will find this a valuable resource. Researchers will appreciate the practical guidance given for the design of improved LCDs, whilst students are provided with a useful overview of the field.