- Presents a systematic review of the basic definitions and properties of moments covering geometric moments and complex moments.
- Considers invariants to traditional transforms – translation, rotation, scaling, and affine transform - from a new point of view, which offers new possibilities of designing optimal sets of invariants.
- Reviews and extends a recent field of invariants with respect to convolution/blurring.
- Introduces implicit moment invariants as a tool for recognizing elastically deformed objects.
- Compares various classes of orthogonal moments (Legendre, Zernike, Fourier-Mellin, Chebyshev, among others) and demonstrates their application to image reconstruction from moments.
- Offers comprehensive advice on the construction of various invariants illustrated with practical examples.
- Includes an accompanying website providing efficient numerical algorithms for moment computation and for constructing invariants of various kinds, with about 250 slides suitable for a graduate university course.
Moments and Moment Invariants in Pattern Recognition is ideal for researchers and engineers involved in pattern recognition in medical imaging, remote sensing, robotics and computer vision. Post graduate students in image processing and pattern recognition will also find the book of interest.
Keywords: pattern recognition, moments, moment invariants, image processing, invariant pattern recognition, image reconstruction, image restoration, facial recognition, medical imaging, Signal Processing, Imaging Systems & Technology, Signal Processing, Imaging Systems & Technology