The content of the book is heavily informed by recent experimental evidence and the impediments in the pipeline of drug discovery. It draws on the attempts to develop translational research strategies in CNS drug development. The title highlights the emergence of a “critical path” for the development of new CNS drugs as identified by the FDA in their report on the slowdown in the development new chemical entities across the disease spectrum.
- Discusses in detail the key stages of CNS drug discovery, outlining the particular requirements and obstacles for CNS drugs
- Addresses safety concerns and future drug targets
- Provides succinct background information about the major CNS diseases
- Examples of specific drugs are used throughout to describe the development of a new drug from conception to clinical use and post-market surveillance
- Primary reasons for drug failure are given for each stage