Buddhists: Understanding Buddhism through the Lives ofPractitionersprovides a series of case studies of Asian and modern Western Buddhists, spanning history, gender, and class, whose lives are representative of the ways in which Buddhists throughout time have embodied the tradition.
- Portrays the foundational principles of Buddhist belief through the lives of believers, illustrating how the religion is put into practice in everyday life
- Takes as its foundation the inherent diversity within Buddhist society, rather than focusing on the spiritual and philosophical elite within Buddhism
- Reveals how individuals have negotiated the choices, tensions, and rewards of living in a Buddhist society
- Features carefully chosen case studies which cover a range of Asian and modern Western Buddhists
- Explores a broad range of possible Buddhist orientations in contemporary and historical contexts
Keywords: traditional; minority; drawn; perspective; spiritual; understandings; buddhism; lives; buddhists; life; series; imbalance; believers; histories; redresses; fascinating; collection; biographies; modern; brings; representative; scholars