This comprehensive volume brings together a distinguished editorial team, including some of the field’s pioneers, to explore the aims, practice, and historical context of interfaith collaboration.
- Explores in full the background, history, objectives, and discourse between the leaders and practitioners of the world’s major religions
- Examines relations between religions from around the world, moving well beyond the common focus on Christianity, to also cover over 12 major religions
- Features a wealth of case studies on contemporary interreligious dialogue
- Charts a long-term shift away from a competitive rivalry between belief systems, and a change in focus towards the more respectful, cooperative approach reflected in institutions such as the World Council of Churches
- Includes up-to-date commentary on the growing dialogue of recent years, written by some of the leading figures working in the field of interfaith discourse
Keywords: Inter-Religious; Inter-Religious Dialogue; Leonard Swidler; Catherine Cornille; Pierre-François de Béthune; Comparative Theology; Francis X. Clooney; Scriptural Reasoning; Marianne Moyaert; Inter-Religious Worship; Michael Amaladoss; Mary Anderson; Interstitial Theology; Tinu Ruparell; Social Action; Paul F. Knitter; Peacebuilding; S. Ayse Kadayifci-Orellana; Jeannine Hill Fletcher; Buddhist–Hindu Dialogue; David Peter Lawrence; Jewish–Christian Dialogue; Yaakov Ariel; Jewish–Muslim Dialogu; Reuven Firestone; Christian–Muslim Dialogue; Daniel Madigan; Shinto–Buddhist Dialogue; Aasulv Lande; Muslim–Hindu Dialogue; Anna Bigelow; Christian–Confucian Dialogue; John Berthrong; Islam and African Religions; John Azumah; Hindu–Christian Dialogue; Anantanand Rambachan; Native American Spirituality; Christianity; Achiel Peelma; Islam and Buddhism; Imtiyaz Yusuf; Christian–Buddhist Dialogue; Paul O. Ingram; Buddhist–Jewish Relations; Nathan Katz; Hindu–Jewish Encounters; Barbara A. Holdrege; The Implicit Dialogue of Confucian Muslims; William Chittick; Sachiko Murata; Confucian–Jewish Dialogue; Galia Patt-Shamir; Ping Zhang; Mormon–Evangelical Dialogue; Robert L. Millet