Forget Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly, and Sean Hannity—Glenn Beck is the Right’s new media darling and the unofficial leader of the conservative grassroots. Lampooned by the Left and Lionized by the far Right, his bluster-and-tears brand of political commentary has commandeered attention on both sides of the aisle.
Glenn Beck has emerged over the last decade as a unique and bizarre conservative icon for the new century. He encourages his listeners to embrace a cynical paranoia that slides easily into a fantasyland filled with enemies that do not exist and solutions that are incoherent, at best. Since the election of President Barack Obama, Beck’s bombastic, conspiratorial, and often viciously personal approach to political combat has made him one of the most controversial figures in the history of American broadcasting.
In Common Nonsense, investigative reporter Alexander Zaitchik explores Beck's strange brew of ratings lust, boundless ego, conspiratorial hard-right politics, and gimmicky morning-radio entertainment chops.
- Separates the facts from the fiction, following Beck from his troubled childhood to his recent rise to the top of the conservative media heap
- Zaitchik's recent three-part series in Salon caused so much buzz, Beck felt the need to attack it on his show
- Based on Zaitchik's interviews with former Beck coworkers and review of countless Beck writings and television and radio shows
- Explains why Beck is always crying, why he has so many conservative enemies, why he's driven by conspiracy theories, and why he's dangerous to the health of the republic
- A contributing writer to Alternet, Zaitchik's reporting has appeared in the New Republic, the Nation, Salon, Wired, Reason, and the Believer
Beck, a perverse and high-impact media spectacle, has emerged as a leader in a conservative protest movement that raises troubling questions about the future of American politics.
Keywords: glen beck, glenn beck biography, glen beck biography, glenn beck bio, glen beck bio, glenn beck life, glen beck life, glenn beck politics, glen beck politics, glennbeck, glenbeck, glenn beck show, glen beck show, glenn beck program, glen beck program, conservative commentator, political commentators, political pundit, political pundits, conservative politics, American conservatism, American conservatives, libertarian, libertarians, libertarianism, right wing, right wing politics, lunatic fringe, American politics, political rant, rush Limbaugh, bill o?reilly, bill oreilly, sean hannity, ann coulter, Thomas paine, tom paine, glenn beck?s common sense, glen beck?s common sense, glen beck common sense