Worked-out problems from various fields of study illustrate mathematical concepts and techniques and are accompanied by a comprehensive solution, explanation, and commentary. Eight succinct chapters provide thorough topical coverage, including:
- Approximation and estimation
- Isolating important variables
- Generalization and special cases
- Dimensional analysis and scaling
- Pictorial methods and graphical solutions
- Symmetry to simplify equations
Providing numerous exercises to test comprehension and requiring only a working knowledge of basic calculus and introductory physics, Thinking About Equations is an excellent supplement for courses in engineering and the physical sciences. It is also a valuable reference for researchers, practitioners, and educators who encounter mathematical problems in their day-to-day work.