YOUR GUIDE TO PROJECT MANAGEMENT SUCCESS IN THE PUBLIC SECTOR
There may be no simple formula for success in public-sector projects, but Public-Sector Project Management delivers the next best thing: a complete set of skill-building strategies that puts success well within your reach.
Building on industry standards and best practices as well as almost thirty years of public-sector experience, this definitive sourcebook clearly explains how to manage projects in the public sector and navigate their many challenges. Here is where you'll find all the tools to accomplish your goals for any public-sector project, whether you are overseeing military and security operations, the construction of public infrastructure, improving agency processes, deploying new systems or public programs, or any other public initiative.
The book describes both the obstacles and basic processes of public-sector project management and examines the differences between public-sector and private-sector projects, including the management of the wide array of public-sector stakeholders. Public-Sector Project Management is your comprehensive professional template for making a positive contribution to your agency or organization. Inside, you'll find:
- Expert guidance consistent with project management best practices
- In-depth coverage of public-sector constraints, including purchasing systems, legal mandates, political and media oversight, and complex rules and processes
- Specific strategies to enhance the management capability of public-sector managers and private-sector project managers working under government contracts
- Emphasis on the role of planning in managing customer, manager, and project team expectations, and coping with the overlapping systems of constraints that impede public-sector projects
- Techniques for managing contractors and vendors
- Tools for managing the complexity inherent in most public-sector projects
- Insightful case studies of notable and historic public-sector projects; chapter-ending discussion questions and exercises; numerous tables and figures; and key terms in the glossary
Keywords: guide; simple; publicsector; formula; public sector; best; puts; next; skillbuilding strategies; set; complete; years; publicsector experience; industry; thirty; manage projects; sourcebook; explains; clearly; many; definitive