How Baking Works, Second Edition thoroughly covers the entire baking process, emphasizing the "whys" at work behind basic techniques. The book takes the user through the major ingredient groups, explaining how sweeteners, fats, milk, leavening agents, and other ingredients affect the appearance, flavor, and texture of the end product. The coverage also includes scaling and measurements, heat transfer, and sensory properties in baking.
This revised and updated Second Edition features:
- Hands-on exercises and experiments at the end of each chapter, with many involving the sensory evaluation of ingredients
- Expanded coverage of sweeteners, variety grains, enzymes, starch structure and gelatinization, and gluten structure
- Important coverage of changes to federal laws, such as food allergen labeling
- Coverage reflecting consumer awareness of nutrition and health, including information on dietary fiber, trans fats, and trans-free fats in the baking context
- More photographs to illustrate the science of baking
- End-of-chapter questions that both review content and require readers to apply and synthesize what they've learned
How Baking Works, Second Edition offers a dynamic, hands-on learning experience to both practicing and future bakers and pastry chefs.
Keywords: COOKING / Methods / Baking CKB004000