Businesses have historically treated data protection as an afterthought, as simply making an occasional copy of data that could be used in the future. Today, this attitude is changing rapidly. The ever-increasing amount of data, along with the emphasis on continuous availability, necessitates changes in the approach to data integrity, which results in management and protection becoming much more closely aligned. Digital Data Integrity throws light on the data integrity landscape of the future. It provides the reader with a brief overview of the historical methods and subsequent evolution of data protection. The text shows how the whole subject of data integrity is changing and describes and positions many of the new, enhanced, more intelligent protection technologies and methods.
Digital Data Integrity:
- Takes a unique, forward look at data protection and management, highlighting the paradigm shift from simple backup and recovery to total data management.
- Details recent developments in compliance regulations in an accessible manner.
- Covers enhanced protection technologies such as advanced intelligent synthetic backups, data reduction methods, and data growth – online protection using continuous data protection.
- Explains data life cycle management and data storage, using management, quality of service products and tools to achieve better data management, intelligent allocation of storage, and compliance with regulations.
- Contains information on quality control, looking at SLA (Service Level Agreements), protection by business unit and billing/charge back.
- Unique insight into hot topics such as next generation bare metal recovery and true system provisioning.
This invaluable text will provide system administrators, and database administrators, as well as senior IT managers and decision makers with a thorough understanding of data management and protection.
With contributions from Ray Schafer and Paul Mayer.