Key features of the Second Edition include:
- New chapter on Next Generation Networks, including an overview on standardization, the architecture, and PSTN/ISDN simulation services.
- Fully updated chapter on the Push-to-talk over Cellular (PoC) service, covering the standardization in the Open Mobile Alliance (OMA), architecture, PoC session types, user plane, and the Talk Burst Control Protocol.
- Several expanded sections, including discussion of the role of the Open Mobile Alliance in the standardization process, IPv4 support in IMS, a description of the IMS Application Layer Gateway and the Transition Gateway, and a description of the presence data model.
- Updated material on the presence service, session-based instant messages with the Message Session Relay Protocol (MSRP), and the XML Configuration Access Protocol (XCAP).
- Supported by a companion website on which instructors and lecturers can find electronic versions of the figures.
Engineers, programmers, business managers, marketing representatives, and technically aware users will all find this to be an indispensable guide to IMS and the business model behind it.