1. Introduction: Power and the Russian Regions
2. Russia’s Ethnofederalism: Under-Institutionalized, Not Self-Sustaining
3. Federalism and Defederalization in a Country in Transition: the Russian Experience
4. Collaborative or Hegemonic? Tatarstan and Conflicting Visions of Federalism in Putin’s Russia
5. Not So Different After All? Centre-Region Relations: a Ukrainian Comparison
6. The Influence of Russian Big Business on Regional Power: Models and Political Consequences
7. Economic Actors in Russian Regional Politics: The Example of the Oil Industry
8. Russia’s Northern Periphery in Transition: Regional Fragmentation of the Far North?
9. Conclusion: Democratization and Regional Politics?