1. Labour’s Love Lost
2. The Constitution: Fragmentation or Adaptation?
3. Elections and Public Opinion: A Modest Conservative Resurgence
Michael Cole, Tim Jones
4. Parties and the Party System: On the Edge of Bankruptcy?
5. Pressure Politics: A Challenge to Democracy?
Wyn Grant, Michael Rush
6. Government and Administration: Fit for Purpose?
Andrew Gray, Bill Jenkins
7. Ombudsmen and Tribunals: A Year of Change, Challenge and Opportunity
8. Parliament: The House of Commons — Plenty of Business but Marking Time
Richard Kelly, Oonagh Gay, Philip Cowley
9. Parliament: The House of Lords — Negotiating a Stronger Second Chamber
Meg Russell, Maria Sciara
10. The Law and Politics: Clashing Rights and Interests
11. Public Policy: Ploughing On
12. Devolution: Relative Stability and Political Change
13. Local Government: Towards Strong and Prosperous Communities?
Steve Leach, Lawrence Pratchett
14. Foreign Policy: A Bleak Year
15. Britain and Europe: A Pause for Reflection?
16. Politics and the Media: The Stormy Year Before the Calm?
17. Waiting for Gordon?