1. Introduction: Outcomes of Transformation
Part I. Social Forces and Transformation
2. Communist Nostalgia and its Consequences in Russia, Belarus and Ukraine
3. The Social Bases of Reform and Anti-reform in Russia and Ukraine
4. Social Forces and the Post-communist Transition: Why Labour Turns Right
Part II. Outcomes of Transformation: Central and Eastern Europe
5. The European Union’s Influence on the Development of Capitalism in Central Europe
6. The Outcomes of the Czech Economic Transformation
7. The Integration of the GDR into the Federal Republic: Challenges and Constraints
8. The Russian Transformation: a New Form of Etacratism?
Part III. Consolidation of New Regimes: the Problem of Inequality
9. Effects of Transformation on Inequality in Russia
10. Inequalities in Health and Health Care in Post-communist Europe
11. Mass Privatization and the Post-communist Mortality Crisis
Lawrence King, David Stuckler
Part IV. Alternative Scenarios: Reform without System Change?
12. Belarus: Prototype for Market Socialism?
13. Transnational Ties and Transformation of Cuban Socialism
14. Change and Continuity in North Korea
15. The Impact of the Demise of State Socialism on China
Jeanne L. Wilson
16. The Consequences of the Transformation on the Third World
Keywords: Economics, Economic Policy, Social Choice/Welfare Economics/Public Choice, Regional/Spatial Science, Macroeconomics/Monetary Economics//Financial Economics, Political Economy, Economic Systems