Part I. Introduction
1. The ‘Community Method’ at Sixty
2. Is the Community Method Still Viable?
Part II. The Community Method at Work
3. Law-Making in the Shadow of Judicial Politics
Susanne K. Schmidt
4. The European Parliament and the Community Method
5. Conflict Resolution in the Council by Linkage of Commission Proposals
Thomas König, Dirk Junge
Part III. Alternatives to the Community Method
6. The Political and Security Committee: A Case Study in ‘Supranational Intergovernmentalism’
7. Deviations from and Alternatives to the Community Method in Justice and Home Affairs
8. Is the Open Method of Coordination an Alternative to the Community Method?
Part IV. Revisiting the Debate on New Modes of Governance
9. In the Shadow of Hierarchy: Governance as a Tool of Government
10. Social Europe: Why Hard Law Remains Important
11. The ‘Governance Turn’ Revisited
Laurie Boussaguet, Renaud Dehousse, Sophie Jacquot
12. Conclusion: Obstinate or Obsolete?