1. A New Public Leadership Challenge?
Stephen Brookes, Keith Grint
Part I. Public Sector Reform and the Impact on Leadership
2. Central Government Reform and Leadership
3. Healthcare Reform and Leadership
Kieran Walshe, Naomi Chambers
4. Education Reform and School Leadership
Helen Gunter, Gillian Forrester
5. Policing, New Public Management and Legitimacy
6. Local Government Reform and Political Leadership
7. Guns or Gantt Charts? — The Leadership Challenge for UK Defence
Part II. Essential Features of Public Leadership
8. What Do We Expect of Public Leaders?
9. Political Leadership
10. Telling the Story of Place: The Role of Community Leadership
11. Wicked Problems and Clumsy Solutions: The Role of Leadership
12. Knowledge and Capabilities for Leadership Across the Whole Public Service System
John Benington, Jean Hartley
13. The Challenge of Change for Public Sector Leaders
Carina Paine Schofield, Mark Pegg
Part III. Public Leadership in Action?
14. Testing Adaptive Leadership Theory in Practice: The Policing of the Drumcree Demonstrations in Northern Ireland
Irwin Turbitt, John Benington
15. Leadership of Change Narratives: An Alternative Voice
16. Section 17 Crime and Disorder Act 1998: A Missed Opportunity for Public Leadership?
17. Partnerships: Rhetoric or Reality?
Sue Goss, Paul Tarplett
Part IV. Outlining a Public Leadership Approach
18. The Challenge for Public Leadership Arising from Mixed Modes of Governance
19. The Challenge of Leadership for the Third Sector
20. Can Public Leadership be Evaluated?
21. Epilogue Reform, Realisation and Restoration: Public Leadership and Innovation in Government