1. Introduction: ‘Border Crossings’ — The Dimensions of Membership
2. On Membership and Free Movement
3. The American Fence: Liberal Political Theory and the Immorality of Membership
4. Resident Aliens, Non-resident Citizens and Voting Rights: Towards a Pluralist Theory of Transnational Political Equality and Modes of Political Belonging
5. Becoming Citizens: Naturalization in the Liberal State
6. Republican Requirements for Access to Citizenship
7. Linguistic Competence and Citizenship Acquisition
8. What Is ‘Britishness’, and Is It Important?
9. Introducing the Majority to Ethnicity: Do They Like What They See?
Steve Fenton, Robin Mann
10. Conclusion: Practice and Policy
Gideon Calder, Jonathan Seglow