1. Introduction: The Evolutions and Convolutions of Political Religion
Part I. Conceptualizing Political Religion
2. On the Heuristic Value of the Concept of Political Religion and Its Application
Stanley G. Payne
3. The Missiological Roots of the Concept of ‘Political Religion’
4. Is Castroism a Political Religion?
Eusebio Mujal-León, Eric Langenbacher
Part II. The Sacralization of Politics
5. Fascism as the Expression of a Spiritual Revolution in Italy
6. What Insights Do We Gain from Interpreting National Socialism as a Political Religion?
7. Marxism—Leninism as a Secular Religion
Anatoly M. Khazanov
8. Maoism in the Cultural Revolution: A Political Religion?
Part III. The Politicization of Religion
9. An Islamist Turkish Party’s Journey to Democracy and Modernity
Kemal H. Karpat
10. Hindutva as a Political Religion: An Historical Perspective
Robert E. Frykenberg
11. The United States: Messianism, Apocalypticism, and Political Religion