Section I. Background.
1. Sex Differences in Disease
2. Evolution of the Human Sex Chromosomes and a Portrait of the Human X
3. Overview: X Chromosome Dosage Compensation
4. The Discovery of X Chromosome Inactivation and the Lyon Hypothesis
5. Experimental Models for X Inactivation Studies
Section II. Themes and Variations.
6. Theme 1: The Initial Steps: Creating the Active and Inactive X
7. Theme 2: The Subsequent Steps: Spreading Silence Along the X and Maintaining It
8. Variations 1: Stability of the Inactive X
9. Variations 2: Choice of Active X
Section III. Medical Consequences.
10. Medical Consequence 1: The Single Active X
11. Medical Consequence 2: Cellular Mosaicism
12. Determinants of Female Phenotypes
List of Tables.
Keywords: MEDICAL / Genetics MED107000