Voice & Vision is a comprehensive manual for the independent filmmakers and film students who want a solid grounding in the tools, techniques, and processes of narrative film in order to achieve their artistic vision. This book includes essential and detailed information on relevant film and digital video tools, a thorough overview of the filmmaking stages, and the aesthetic considerations for telling a visual story. The ultimate goal of this book is to help you develop your creative voice while acquiring the solid practical skills and confidence to use it. Unlike many books that privilege raw technical information or the line-producing aspects of production, Voice & Vision places creativity, visual expression, and cinematic ideas front and center. After all, every practical decision a filmmaker makes, like choosing a location, an actor, a film stock, a focal length, a lighting set-up, an edit point, or a sound effect is also an expressive one and should serve the filmmaker's vision. Every decision, from the largest conceptual choices to the smallest practical solutions, has a profound impact on what appears on the screen and how it moves an audience. "In Practice" sidebars throughout connect conceptual, aesthetic and technical issues to their application in the real world. Some provide a brief analysis of a scene or technique from easily rentable films which illustrate how a specific technology or process is used to support a conceptual, narrative, or aesthetic choice. Others recount common production challenges encountered on real student and professional shoots which will inspire you to be innovative and resourceful when you are solving your own filmmaking challenges.
INSTRUCTORS: Visit the companion website (www.voiceandvisionbook.com) for a link to additional teaching resources.
* A dedicated web resource with high-resolution lighting and exposure illustrations, interactive Flash figures, and award-winning short film examples
* Comprehensive technical information on both film and digital video production-express yourself with any camera and in any format
* A focus on learning to work successfully with available resources (time, equipment, budget, personnel)-turn limitations into opportunities
* Substantial coverage of the sound tools and techniques used in film production and the creative impact of post-production sound design
* Updated workflow breakdowns including HD, film-out, and D-Cinema workflows
* Extensive information on production safety, etiquette and set procedures